Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Moishe House London - Joel - May

Summertime... or is it? It seems, after a blissful week and a half of a sunshine earlier in May, that the British summer has got shy again and decided to hide.

Meanwhile, in my life, many things:

1. I'm currently doing a Master Cleanse. That means just lemon juice, maple syrup, cayenne pepper and water for 10 days. And I'm on day 8! Feeling fine. Good energy levels, pretty light and able to concentrate, hunger mostly gone away. I won't pretend I'm not looking forward to eating again though...

2. I just handed in my 5,000 word essay on Storahtelling, who I worked with in NYC in March and April. 'Conversations with the soul through story'. Much less last minute than previous essays and I actually enjoyed writing it in the end.

3. May 17th I did my own Storahtelling-style dramatic translation of the Torah reading at West London Synagogue in the main sanctuary. I played an environmental protester, an overworked academic and, my old friend, Rabbi Zalman Meintz. All commented, through their line by line meturgeman translations, on the relevance and meaning of the Sabbatical and Jubilee years. Feedback has been very positive.

4. I have started a new job, alongside my freelance drama projects. I am working three days a week for Tzedek, researching and preparing kids' and students' education materials
on development issues and relating them to Jewish themes and concepts.

5. Rachel, Daniel and I spent a gorgeous weekend in the countryside with 13 other friends. Davening, eating, walking, yoga, talking, bonfire, learning, eating...

6. May highlight in The House: we collaborated with the London JCC to hold a bonfire for Lag B'Omer, making use of our massive garden. 100 people came, including two 90 year olds.

7. We have been featured in the Guardian's Jewish podcast this month. Listen out for us on 8 mins. A real insight into life in The House.

8. I am going to Burning Man this year! Hooray. Took the plunge and sent off for my ticket. It will be my 5th burn. Burning Man will undoubtedly haunt my dreams from here on in.

9. Earlier in the month the 5 of us houseniks went out for karaoke at one of London's private karaoke rooms. Rocked. My personal favourite: Mac the Knife, as usual. And a close second: Thank You, by Alanis Morissette. Most fun? Meatloaf, I would do anything for love (but I won't do that).

10. Thursday after Shavuot I'm off to Israel for the ROI120 summit. Jewish innovation a-go-go. A week away and then back here. Hopefully summer will have re-arrived by then.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Joel, sounds like many exciting things goin down in London

Id love to read your essay, if you get a chance, send it by yaakovlehman@gmail.com

Also, Ill be in Israel for the next couple weeks, so perhaps we could meet up why you are at ROI. 054 810 3674.

Yaakov, Vienna

Anonymous said...

Ive read this topic for some blogs. But I think this is more informative.