Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Moishe House Murray Hill - Ariel Bucher


As I celebrate the new Jewish year of 5773, I can't help but reflect on all of the changes that came during 5772, "the post-college year" for me. I finished my first two semesters of law school, had a rewarding summer legal internship at the American Jewish Committee, met some really interesting new people at school and in New York, hit the one year anniversary mark with my boyfriend, and, oh yea - launched a new Moishe House in the Murray Hill neighborhood of New York City with two of my friends from freshman year of college. Talk about a busy year! Rosh Hashana reminds me of how lucky I am to have such amazing people and opportunities in my life, with my Moishe House experience being one of them. 

I can honestly say that the true power of Moishe House didn't hit me until a few months in as a resident, when for the first time, a participant remarked to me that he would not be involved with anything Jewish in his life had it not been for Moishe House. He continues to be an active participant many months later, even volunteering to speak to UJA-Federation donors at our apartment. It is these little moments that define for me what a privilege it is to facilitate Jewish life for the people in my community, and how honored I feel to be providing community-based opportunities for connecting with Judaism. Although I will be moving on to new opportunities in 5773, my time as a Moishe House resident was a hugely important part of 5772 that I will never forget. 

Ariel Bucher 

No comments: