Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Dovi - Moishe House San Diego

At some point in the recent past, and I am not sure exactly when, both I and MHSD have gone through a transformation of sorts. It used to be that when people would ask me about Moishe House I would reply with something along the lines of “we are trying to start an active and engaged community of Jewish young adults set in a comfortable, pressure-free environment.” Now, however, my response is different. It sounds more along the lines of “we ARE a community …” Somewhere along the line we matured from a goal into a realized product. This is not to say that the community is now static; we are still learning and growing each and every event, but we are certainly a true community in every sense of the word. We are there to celebrate simchas together as well as to grieve with or console one another when necessary. We learn from one another, inspire one another, and create a synergy that is far greater than the sum of each of us individually. It is no longer a question of whether the Moishe House models is right for San Diego or do young adults want to be engaged and a part of the Jewish world. Rather, the question is how much can we accomplish as a community. How can we better one another? What can we do to benefit the larger community? How can we make the world a better place?
Moishe House San Diego also recently experienced its first personnel change. The four original residents have lived together and planned events together since the inception of the house. This has been great and we have worked hard to help facilitate community growth, so we were not sure what the dynamic would be when someone moved out. In February we found out. It was hard to say goodbye to one of our roommates, but it was exciting to bring in a new mind and heart with fresh ideas and invigorating passion. Our new roommate reminded me of the excitement that I had when the house started and the transition prompted me to take a moment to reflect on our progress as a community. Seeing someone new come into the role of community leader so effortlessly gave me renewed hope that as each of us transitions out of living in MHSD, we will be replaced with someone equally devoted to the goals of the house. This shows me that we are a sustainable community and not just the product of four roommates. I am not sure how we as a community reached this point, but I am proud to know that I have been a part of it. Now, I look forward to seeing how Moishe House San Diego continues to grow and what we are capable of achieving together.

No comments: